Sunday 3 February 2019

Surviving a Harsh Winter

Surviving a harsh winter is quite easy.  In fact, there are only two requirements.
1)  Be a cat.
2)  Live with the Ethiers 

 Gustav and Mogollon survive the polar vortex.  Barely.

Gustav seeks out some supplemental warmth.  

Anyway, it's all over for now.  It's sunny and mild today, and we went for our first walk in well over a week.  The snow is melting and it's pretty wet everywhere.  But it feels lovely.

Yesterday was Imbolg, and our Brigid doll is out on the mantelpiece, encouraging Spring to hurry along.  Usually for us at this time it is still deep winter, and we postpone our celebration until mid-February, when the thaw often arrives.  Since it is now virtually impossible to predict climate anymore, we celebrated yesterday because the temperature rose slightly above freezing.  A real wood fire, some great music, food, and looking at art on-line, made for a wonderful afternoon and evening.
Brigid catches some sunlight atop our mantel.  She will be put away when
we are certain that Spring is just around the corner.  This year the thaw 
arrived the same day she came out of her box. 
  
My reading eyes have changed, as I knew they would.  I can no longer see anything close up with either eye.  My reading glasses seem to still work, but my piano playing and computer glasses are no longer effective.  It will be at least a month until I am allowed to visit my optometrist for a new prescription.  In the meantime I will try some drug store reading glasses.  My distance vision has never been better, however!  I am anxious to try the new right eye lens at the telescope eyepiece.  Later this week, if it is clear.

Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment