Tuesday 12 March 2019

March Break

This is the time of year that I think of the desert.  For nearly 30 years we would go to NM during the school break at this time, and wander happily in the desert for a week.  I still have unfinished business there, but did not feel like travelling this year.  Hopefully next year.  Our summer and autumn visits to NM are into the high country, but in early spring we stay down where it's warm.

Even though there are no lessons here this week, I have four students coming tomorrow.  A dedicated bunch.  Today I had my piano tuned.  I wish I could have it tuned every week--it is such an amazing instrument to play when it is in tune.  Since we turn the heat down at night, and then back up in the morning, it plays havoc with the strings.  I was supposed to have a lesson with Philip Adamson today.  I had to cancel, due to a night of insomnia.  I would have wasted my time and his if I had tried to play for him today--it would have just been mechanical, at best.

Speaking of Philip, he played his fifth in a series of Beethoven piano sonata programs last Friday evening.  He played the three sonatas that are in the key of D.  It included two of my favourites: The Tempest, which I have played at two different stages of my life, and The Pastorale, which I would love to study.  He performed with the music, which isn't surprising since he gave his last program on October 15th of last year.  That's fast work!  His performances are always worth attending; doubly so when he plays Beethoven, for which he has an uncanny affinity.  Deb and I attended with Randy G. and Jenn G.

Of course skies were perfectly clear the night of his recital, so I had to give up the one and only clear moonless night we have had.  However, it was clear last night, and I headed out to Hallam to do battle with a 5-day old moon, which rides annoyingly high in the March sky.  Still, it was wonderful to be back out amongst the stars!  I was home (nearly frozen) by midnight.  Usually I can fall asleep immediately after such a night.  Not last night.  The brain would not turn off.  Thus no piano lesson today.

On Thursday Jenn, Deb, and I are heading to Detroit to hear the orchestra perform the Mahler 5th Symphony.  The concert mistress will also perform a Mozart violin concerto.  Before that we will sample some beer at Hopcat, and get to the mailbox.  Dinner somewhere, too.  Then, after the concert, depending on how we all feel, there is a one-night photo exhibit we would like to attend, a little deeper into the city.  So I will likely blog again on Friday, time permitting.  No art work today, but if I do get time tomorrow I will post one.
Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment