Thursday 4 April 2019

Return of the Film Project

Several years ago I took up film photography again, and had a lot of fun with my many different classic cameras.  A recent late night visit to a Detroit gallery exhibiting enlargements of Polaroid shots got my interest up again.  I have not shot film in a long while.  In fact, two of my cameras still had film in them several years old.  I did finish up the 126 film, and sent it off.  Some results can be seen below.  The other film had been in the camera for too long, so I just trashed it.  I will reload the camera (an old fold out) and try again.  It appears that I have 10 cameras that shoot film, including 35 mm, 126, 120, 620, Polaroid 600, Fuji Instax wide, 127, and 110 for a very unique spy camera.  I now possess film for all of these cameras again, or should any day now.

 Some of my old film cameras.  L to R:  Thagee foldout (I now have a 2nd foldout), Zenith Sharpshooter, Rollei 35 mm (the best camera ever made!), Polaroid 600, Instamatic 500, Minolta Spy Camera, Herco Imperial (now defunct--Deb made it into a steampunk purse!), Baby Brownie Special (never used yet by me--film on the way!).  Not shown is my Instamatic SLR, with extra lenses, and my Fuji Instax Wide.  Updated photo to come.  

The central camera in the above photo is the Instamatic 500, taking 126 cartridges.  It was made in Germany and is a superb camera, costing a lot of dollars back in the day.  It was the top of the line Instamatic until the SLR came along.  Sadly, 126 film is no longer made, but I still have 3 rolls in the fridge.  Here are some recent images from the film that had been in that camera for about 3 years.

 Downtown Detroit, Christmas 2015.

 Emma Lee, Lynne, Steve, and Deb.  Lake Nipissing, summer 2016.  That's what I always loved about shooting film; Christmas and summer pics on the same roll!).

 The neighbourhood coffee roaster.  Fall 2016.

 Detroit River, a few days ago, across from our house in Amherstburg.  Yes, that is ice floating down the river.

Expect to see some more film photography results here soon.  We had a day excursion planned for today along the north shore of Lake Erie.  However, it was too cold, and the cloudy sky was without any contrast.  We'll try again next week.  Meanwhile, a trip to Detroit is planned soon, once my film order arrives at our mailbox there.

And now we turn to another famous artist, this one a painter of some repute.  Detroit owns 4 paintings by Vincent Van Gogh; two are landscapes, one is a self portrait, and one a portrait.

 The Diggers, 1889, Van Gogh.  Detroit Institute of Arts.
65 cm x 50 cm. 
Sometimes it takes me awhile to warm to paintings by this artist; at other times, I can instantly appreciate them.  For some reason I have always liked this painting.  Not loved it, but liked it.  The diggers appear to be removing a stump, a job that requires better tools than these poor labourers seem to be using.  There seem to be very few trees remaining in this otherwise barren landscape; one wonders if the standing trees are also fated to be removed, to make way for more field.  One worker is faceless, the other has his face hidden from us.  Van Gogh seems more interested in their work than in them.  It is a strange painting by a strange man, but the composition seems to work.

Detail of above.  The men appear to have been squeezed out of a blue tube of paint.

 The sky and background are executed in a very minimalist style, indicating the artist's interest in the foreground, not the distant lands.

 Amazing foreground detail.  To me, this would make a splendid full sized painting! 

Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment