Friday 27 September 2019

Two Films From 1935

It's Friday night here at the Homestead, and it is pouring rain.  It will continue to do so all night.  By contrast, last night was one of the finest astronomy nights I have ever had in this area.  Conditions were superlative, and I took full advantage.  It was dark enough to begin at 8:30 pm, and I finally started packing up around 2 am.  My eyes had seen enough!  I got work done in four different constellations, and some of the low-lying southern sights I saw I thought I would have had to travel to NM to see properly.  I am still euphoric today, as I slog away at my notes and diagrams.  I was in bed around 3:30 am, and oddly enough I had a terrific astronomy dream, too.  Bonus!

By coincidence, Deb and I each chose a film from 1935 to watch this week.  On Wednesday evening (it was cloudy) I selected "The Count From Old Town," a Swedish comedy.  Likely it only survives because it is the first film that featured Ingrid Bergman with a leading role.  But it is actually a really good little film, an inoffensive comedy that was filmed mostly outdoors in Old Town, Stockholm.  Bergman is a maid in a cheap hotel, and meets the love of her life.  But is he the mastermind jewel thief criminal that dominating the headlines?  She radiates charm and beauty in every scene she is in, but doesn't always steal the show from a cast of fantastic (most likely stage) actors and actresses who all get to share the limelight.  Now showing on the Criterion Channel, and recommended viewing.
 The Count of Old Town, a Swedish film from 1935.

 This was Ingrid Bergman's first starring role.  She would have been 19 or 20.  

Tonight we watched another Fred and Ginger film, the justly famous Top Hat.  With unforgettable songs like "Dancing Cheek To Cheek," a supporting cast to die for, outrageous modern art sets, hotel rooms that would put Buckingham Palace to shame, and several off-screen anecdotes that make the film even more fun, this is required viewing for film musical fans.  The duo dance up a storm several times, but Astaire really excels in many of his tap routines, including a soft shoe routine on a wooden floor sprinkled with sand.  The plot is silly, but there are some hilarious lines, most of the best ones delivered by Erik Rhodes as the fashion fop Alberto Beddini.  

From 1935, Deb's film choice this week.

The world's most famous ball room dancers. 

And in other film news, it is film festival weekend!  Once a month we take turns selecting three films to watch over a weekend.  It's Deb choice, and she has selected three by Richard Lester, an American director who based himself in the UK.  Stay tuned for more soon, including a quick summary of my September reading.  And maybe someday that Canaletto spread I've been promising.
Mapman Mike

 

No comments:

Post a Comment