Sunday 17 November 2019

Early Start To Winter

Last Monday we received around 7" of heavy, wet snow.  Some of it is still around, which says something about the record cold temperatures we've been having.  Today if finally went safely above freezing, and it was even sunny for a time.  All kinds of records are being broken, and not the kind you want to break.

The listening program continues, with all works by Brahms and Britten being given due consideration, as well as the 104 symphonies of Haydn (#79 coming up later tonight).  In addition are the complete works for organ by Buxtehude, a composer and organist held in the highest esteem by Telemann, Handel, and Bach.  Then comes the record collection.  We are beginning at the beginning, with medieval and renaissance works.  Currently we are listening to a double album of works by Josquin des Prez.  We had forgotten how wonderful the works of this towering giant are!  Both cats are in love with just about anything we put on, and listen deeply.  It's quite amazing to watch!

 A bleak November sunset.  

Last Friday we went on a short day trip, visiting a barn full of antiques and collectibles.  Deb got a pickup truck, which will be seen in an upcoming episode of her 22 Bones series, and we got a Mr. Spock action figure for my brother.  I also found an Instamatic 104 camera, the very first camera I ever owned.  Mine died years ago, but I have the reincarnated one now, ready to shoot 126 film!  Another major find was a hardcover book from 1946 by a favourite writer, James Branch Cabell.  So it was worth the 50 minute drive each way.

 I only bought it for the coffee mug.

 The camera I received at Christmas in 1966, from my Uncle Mike Munavish!  My original camera died from overuse, but I now have a replacement! 

I am currently immersed in a 540 page epic novel by Norman Spinrad.  It is a brilliant concept, and if I know Norman, he will pull it off with elan!  "He Walked Among Us" will be discussed on my Avon/Equinox blog when it is completed.  I am currently on page 240.

We have a Detroit day planned for this week, along with getting a new set of winter tires installed for the Golf (in Windsor).  The Tiguan goes back to the dealer on Dec. 10th, and we will have just the one vehicle.  Tuesday evening I am giving a short talk about double stars at our astronomy club meeting.  Friday is the first of three laser surgeries for Deb.  We continue to live life of the edge.

Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment