Monday 3 February 2020

San Diego Plans

We've booked a trip to San Diego for a week in early March, hoping to visit some art museums and do some light hiking in the foothills.  I had wanted to do some desert hiking in New Mexico, but because of the full moon (we always travel on or near a full moon, so as not to interfere with my astronomy observing program), and the limited time remaining to get physically prepared, we postponed that trip until October.  The highlight in San Diego will be seeing a new (for us) painting by Pieter Bruegel, one of only four in North America.  After that, only the one in the Met in NYC remains to see in person, and we'll get there in 2021.  Of course we are still missing a few (not many) in Europe.  Maybe someday, though no plans at present to cross the pond again.

I managed to play through my entire program three different times for different (small) audiences.  Though none of the performances were terrible, (a few sore spots were, though), I did improve each time I played.  Time now to choose new pieces, and hopefully get started on them this week.

It's medical week here at the Homestead.  Today I went for the 2nd part of my shingles vaccination.  Except for the after effects, which should begin any time now, I am all done with that!  I can expect about 24 hours of being very achy, like having a mild to moderate flu.  I've got books piled up beside the bed, including new music to look through.  I have currently begun reading the 4-vol. Hawkmoon series by Michael Moorcock, which also includes another related trilogy following the first series.  So far I am enjoying Book 1, The Jewel in the Skull.

And speaking of books, here is a very brief report on my January reading.  I read ten books last month, nine of which are part of my Avon/Equinox authors project.  I began with Spinrad, another epic, this one called The Druid King.  Spinrad did the screenplay for a very bad European film, and then wrote this novel afterwards, since the script had been butchered so badly.  Though it was by no means a bad book, mostly based on the writings of Julius Caesar, having so recently read Harry Harrison's vastly superior Stonehenge: Where Atlantis Died, I gave the Spinrad 3 *s out of 4.

I read book 2 of Christopher's Tripods series, where the main character actually enters the city of the Tripods.  So far, it is an enjoyable series, and I am looking forward to part 3 later this month.   I also read book 2 of Piers Anthony's incomparable Tarot series, certainly, along with his Cluster series, which is related, one of the best reads I have ever enjoyed.  A wonderful mix of religion and fantasy, coupled with Anthony's incredible mind, which I can only compare to that of Frank Herbert.

Harry Harrison' Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers is an hilarious spoof of SF pulp writing, and much of it made me laugh out loud.  Harrison is a very funny man, and always makes a nice change when I come across another of his best.  I read the 3rd book in Kenneth Bulmer's Keys series.  The Key to Venudine was pretty decent, after the let down of the 2nd book.  Still, the first book has been the best of the bunch.  I think there are 6 or 7 books in the set, all published as Ace Doubles, with a different author on the back.

Century of the Manikin by E. C. Tubb had an interesting and fun premise, as a woman from the 1970s is awakened from cryogenic sleep after 100 years.  Though I don't think the author made the best use of the premise, the book does bring up all sorts of interesting questions and possibilities, and would have made a decent series, even for TV.

Jack Williamson's early stuff is hot or cold.  I enjoyed Dragon's Island, a truly bizarre tale of a developing human super race trying to outlive the hatred and fear shown to them by normal folk.  No punches are pulled as women and children are slaughtered (off camera, so to speak), and we sense the desperation and fear they have as they try to escape their pursuers.  There are some questionable science ethics displayed in the story, which is essentially a man's adventure magazine type of story, but there is a very good female lead character, at least.

Mission To Guemo is another incredible story by S. B. Hough, alias Rex Gordon.  This one sounded dull, as a man tries to infiltrate a Nazi camp in post war South America.  But it is actually quite a fantastic bit of storytelling, and one of his earliest published works.  Anything by this author is worth reading.  Like Iain Banks, he writes equally well in fiction and science fiction.  I finished the month with Hal Clement's last full novel, though I still have some early pulp stuff of his to read.  Fossil is not one of his best, and would make a poor introduction to the author's fine writing.  Set in a universe developed by Isaac Asimov, it tells of 6 or 7 different alien cultures doing archaeological work on a planet inhabited by intelligent but non space faring beings. 

The only book by a different author I read was on the back of the Bulmer Venudine story.  Mercenary From Tomorrow by Mack Reynolds is a harrowing look at war in the future, when corporations literally fight one another by hiring private armies to fight for them.  Weird but engrossing, as most of the book is spent developing the main character, and watching him act in different situations that arise.  Not a lot of action, but good writing.

I'll be back in a day or two, when my Shingrix vaccination has run its course, with movie news, and a new work of art to display from the collection of the DIA.  Check back on Wednesday!

Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment