Saturday 14 March 2020

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

As if I needed any further proof of humankind's stupidity, greed, and overall poor excuse to live in the universe. LOL.  Acting in an insane manner has suddenly become not only fashionable, but necessary, according to some.  You must have on hand at least a 150-day supply of toilet paper, and several months worth of food.  People are actually happy and excited because gasoline is suddenly so cheap.  Too bad there's nowhere to go.  No concerts, theatre, museums, cinema, sporting events, etc.  We are being asked to not even cross the border into Detroit.  Yeesh.  Fortunately, we have been practicing for this moment all our lives.  Stay home and do things.  We are all stocked up on board games, card games, music to learn, music to listen to, books to read (a great time to have Kindle), and even toilet paper till the end of March, at least.  Woo hoo!

Deb has been enjoying Britbox, and is currently watching a 1990s version of Pride and Prejudice.  I had an exceptionally good night at my remote windmill site observing Orion and Sextans in my 12" scope.  I worked on my notes today, and prepared for another clear night tomorrow (and possibly Tuesday)!  I stayed out longer than intended, though, and my body clock is no longer working.  I am sipping at an exceptionally fine Tripel ale, and not sure it's doing my clock any benefit.  But it's delicious!!

My movie pick this week was called "The Player."  It stars Tim Robbins, and virtually everyone else.  There are more stars in this movie, most in cameos, that in any other film I have ever seen.  It's a sometimes brilliant noir/drama about a producer who (justifiably) murders a writer who he thinks has been harassing him.  He then proceeds to fall in love with the girlfriend of the man he murdered.  It's a compilation of several classic noir films, with posters on display throughout.  It's also a tongue-in-cheek look at what makes a Hollywood film.  Great acting, and a very fun and watchable movie.  People within Hollywood must have loved it.  The pitch to have this movie made must have been a great one.  Highly recommended.  Love the ending!



Yup.  The DIA is closed.  So glad we made it over last Tuesday.  They have a major Van Gogh exhibit scheduled for this summer, with over 70 paintings!  It will be the biggest blockbuster they have had in a goodly while.  Hopefully that will proceed as planned, as I am really looking forward to it (not the horrendous crowds, mind you).

Here is a (possibly) final image from the on-going Dutch and Flemish Prints and Drawings exhibit, before I get back to their regular landscape collection.  One of my favourite Dutch landscape painters is Jan Van Goyen, and they have a few of his drawings on exhibit right now. 

 Dune Landscape with Figures, Jan Van Goyen, Dutch.  Black chalk, 1653.
11 cm x 19 cm.  Collection Detroit Institute of Arts.  I love love love this artist.    

 And lastly, beware the Ides of March.

Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment