Friday 19 June 2020

Catching Up

It's been awhile.  Where have I been, you may ask.  Mostly out in a faraway field with my telescope.  We have had an unprecedented run of 7 clear nights in a row.  And not just clear.  Really, really, clear, and with very low (for us) humidity.  That means the skies have been very transparent, due to less moisture in the air.  And that means I haven't been sleeping nearly enough.  My drive takes 100 minutes, return, a distance of 78 miles (return).  I went out Saturday night the 13th, then again Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.  By Wednesday I could no longer function in the real world, and so I passed on going out again Wednesday night.  But Thursday I was back at it.  It will likely be clear tonight (Friday), but I am done for this session.  It doesn't get dark until 10:45 pm, so my nights have been late ones.  Today I am trying to get my body clock back into some semblance of normality.

I've also written up a lot of observing notes, though I've managed to continue with a bit of writing on Valeria 2, and even to keep up a bit of piano practice.  Reading has slowed down, but should resume again today.  And there are two more movies on which to report.  

But first, I must conclude my 5 senses project, based on last term's tarot card.  Tomorrow is the summer solstice, and new cards will be revealed.

Touchy Feely: 
Deb's lips (softer than soft)
Sun on my face
Cool water from a northern Ontario lake while swimming
Gustav the cat (softer than soft, but a bit furry, too)
A katana in one's hand.

My film choice last week was Dino Risi's Il Sorpasso, a film filled with amazing images and situations, and right up there now in my list with La Dolce Vita.  The extras with the Criterion showing well exceeded the length of the movie, and were also fun to watch.  Essentially the first road movie, it influenced an entire generation of such films, such as Easy Rider.  Italy in 1962 has never looked better.

 Now showing on Criterion Channel. 

Deb's choice was Hopscotch, a spy movie spoof from 1980 starring the unlikely pairing of Walter Matthau and Glenda Jackson.  They have amazing chemistry, and the movie is fun to watch (no extras). Matthau retires from the CIA after he is demoted, and sets about getting his revenge.  Jackson also used to work for the secret service in the past.  The movie is filled with the music of Mozart, and part of it was filmed in Salzburg.

Now showing on Criterion Channel. 

I will try and post another good painting tomorrow from the DIA for summer solstice, so come back soon.

Mapman Mike

 

No comments:

Post a Comment