Saturday 5 September 2020

August Temps

In June we had 11 days of 30C or higher, and in July we had 19.  In August we had 13, with the highest temp being 34.  In July we hit 35, for the highest of the summer.  So with a total of 43 days above 30, it was probably an average summer, on the warm and dry side.  We spent much of it indoors, thanks to the treadmill and other equipment we've been using to exercise.  I made a significant reduction in the size of my stomach, but it took a lot of work.  With much cooler weather now in place, we should be returning outside again soon.

Kids are going back to school full time on the 14th, with a majority of them returning to the classroom.  I have a student I might take on later; she is remaining home for on-line schooling, and would pose less of a threat to students who are returning to the classroom.  Covid cases have been steadily rising in Ontario (and Quebec), mostly due to socializing at bars, private parties, etc.  Many people just want to pretend that everything is normal again.  So I am expecting all hell to break loose once universities, colleges, and grade schools are back full time.  We will do our best to remain in our small bubble throughout the autumn.  As bad as the disease itself is, it is the lingering after effects that are particularly worrisome, including enlarged hearts, pain for months afterwards in joints and muscles, and the very real potential of catching it again.

I haven't decided what to do with my piano pieces yet.  I could record them, which is a really difficult chore (they must be note perfect, which a live performance doesn't).  Or I could give "bubble" concerts, inviting a few people at a time.  I ended up doing that in January anyway, giving three smaller audience performances instead of one larger one.  And I wonder what Philip is doing with his next all-Beethoven recital.

In movie news, I recently watched part 11 of Berlin Alexanderplatz.  I'm nearing the end!  Only 3 1/2 hours to go!  And about ten hours of extras to watch, too.  My movie choice for this week was another Fassbinder film, this one called The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant (1972). It stars an all female cast, and is a pretty intense melodrama, all shot inside a single room of a house.   It's hard to say that one ever really enjoys a Fassbinder film, at least his early ones so far.  But they are often riveting to watch and suffer through, as is Berlin Alexanderplatz.  Bitter Tears runs just over 2 hours, and there were enough watchable extras to double that viewing time for one movie.  Deb has chosen a pre code Joan Blondell/Jimmy Cagney feature for tonight, so it should make for a nice break from Tarkovsky and Fassbinder.

 Now showing on Criterion Channel.

In art news, we'll take a peek at a watercolour by Lovis Corinth.  Called Pink Clouds, Walchensee, it is one of those works with personal meaning for the artist, rather than being executed with the intent of selling it.  It was a gift to his wife, and shows a lake near Munich, near the Austrian border where they had a holiday home.  I never used to like this piece very much, but I have come round to its charms, and wish that I owned it.  It is seldom on display.

Pink Clouds, Walchensee, 1921.  Lovis Corinth, German (1858-1925).  Water colour and gouche on off white wove paper.  14" x 20".  Collection Detroit Institute of Arts. 

We are now four nights past full moon.  In three more nights I can look forward to the start of the September session of observing.  Crisp, cool nights, a sky that is dark by 9 pm (instead of 10:45 pm), and enough planning and prep work to last me into my 90s, at least.  Ideally we would have a home in a dark site, where the scope could be placed in a dome, for year round comfort and no travelling.  Some day. 

Mapman Mike



 

No comments:

Post a Comment