Friday 1 October 2021

Backlog

 I am pretty far behind, and not just in my blogging.  Piano practice has almost come to a standstill, and even my reading program has slowed, but not stopped. So what's up?  All in good time.  First, turning the clock back to September 22nd, we had a very enjoyable Autumnal Equinox.  The latest heatwave broke exactly on that day, and it rained all day and was windy and cold.  And that meant we were able to have our first indoor wood fire of the season.  It's been several years since it's been cool enough to have a fire on Equinox.  What a treat!  Along with good food, some brew, and great music, we also read a bit of Tolkien.  We read The Cottage of Lost Play, from Lost Tales Book 1, as well as a poem of the same name.  The Cottage was Tolkien's initial solution to relating the tales of origin of his mythological world, and actually I'm surprised he dropped the idea, for it is a good one.

Anyway, I've never seen a season change over so fast, and exactly on the day.  First, two local images of late summer in our area.  Then I'll tell you of my first journey since Covid hit.

Amherstburg's Navy Yard Park, looking towards Lake Erie and a distant freighter at the mouth of the Detroit River.  It was a beautiful summer day in mid-September.

Lake Erie from Kingsville's Waterside Park, on a blustery late summer day. 

Last Friday (the 24th of September) I finally made my way to Sudbury, for my long delayed family visit.  It is pretty much an all day drive, nearly 500 miles NE of A'burg.  I left home around 9:40 am and arrived at around 6:30 pm.  Aside from gas and restroom stops, I made two scenery stops, one at a waterfall near Sudbury I had never visited before.  In Sudbury, living in one large building owned by my parents, is my brother Steve, my sister-in-law Lynne, my niece Emma-Lee (now 12), and my parents.  Mom and Dad live upstairs, my brother's family mid-level, and the lowest level is a guest bedroom (mine) and cozy bar.

Typical northern Ontario roadside scenery as one approaches Sudbury.

Just south of Sudbury, and well off the main road, is this lovely waterfall.  I spent about 20 minutes here, enjoying the cool northern air and the sound made by the water.

 

Part of the waterfall goes beneath this old single lane bridge. 

I had a good visit, with the weather keeping me indoors Friday night and Saturday.  It was cold, raining, and windy, so I was able to spend a lot of time with family.  Mom and Dad seem to be doing well, still managing 3 flights of stairs to get up to their apartment.  Dad's knee is bothering him, and he is currently awaiting an MRI scan and hopefully some treatment.  Other than that, everyone is fine.  Lynne works from home now since the pandemic, but Emma-Lee is back in school, starting Grade 7.  Steve works at the Ford dealer in Sudbury, at the service desk.  Saturday I visited Spacecraft Brewery, a cool place I had visited once before.  I ended up buying ten bottles/cans of beer, some made there, others from different breweries as far away as Toronto.  I also visited Beard's Bakery, a vegan cafe where all the baked goods can be eaten by the likes of me.  I got coffee and a scone to go.  I managed some reading Saturday due to the dismal weather, otherwise I would have been outside more.

Sunday the weather cleared up enough for me to take a short hike, accompanied by Emma-Lee.  Called the Rotary Park Trail, it led up to a lookout over New Sudbury and Junction Creek.  It was cold and grey, but perfect for hiking, and we had an enjoyable time.  It's the most time I've spent with my niece since ever I've known her.  She is a really nice person, extremely well brought up.  She chatted my ear off on the hike, but it was fun.

Rotary Park Trail, Sudbury.

It was still very early autumn, but a few leaves had changed already.

Junction Creek, from the overlook.
 
View from the lookout, partway up a pretty high mountain in Sudbury.

Mushrooms and moss captured our attention on the walk.

Emma-Lee prepares to take a photo of the mushrooms.
 
Emma-Lee on the rocks.

Young birch tree against the rocks.

Forest of young birch trees.
 
 
I drove home Monday morning.  With less traffic and fewer stops, I was home by 5:30 pm, only four days behind my reading and practicing.  But wait--it's astronomy time.  It was clear Monday night, but I was too tired from driving to pack up the scope and take a long drive out to my observing post.  But it was clear Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and tonight, Friday.  I went out three nights in a row, having glorious observing sessions.  But tonight I begged off, needing some chill time.  During the day I wrote up my observing notes (I am still not finished), did some piano, and some reading.  With cloudy skies predicted for the next several nights, life should return to normal now.

If this actually happens, then I will post asap my September reading progress.  Stay tuned.

Mapman Mike

 

 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment