Saturday 12 February 2022

Breaking Winter's Back

 Despite the relatively long winters in most of Canada, our area is always the first to see the signs of Spring.  While we aren't seeing them yet, it won't be long now.  Almost like clockwork, mid-February is the time when winter's back is broken.  This year it looks as if it will hit on February 16thm which is also the next full moon.  There will be a large celebration that day and night at the Homestead!  We are in another massive cold spell, and we won't go above the freezing mark until Wednesday, but at least we can see the light now.  Much of our snow is gone, having vanished during our mild day this past week, which also saw a lot of rain fall here.

As I write, the police are trying to evict the Trumpian Canadians holding the international bridge to the USA hostage (they are waving signs that say, among other things "Trump 2024").  There is little to no sympathy for these poor lost souls among Canadians, most of whom are vaccinated and loyal to wearing masks for now, and everyone just wants them to go home and have a life.  Hoping they do.

In movie news, the only film of interest lately has been Stevie, starring Glenda Jackson as poetess Stevie Smith.  The production is first rate, and its mixture of theatre and film techniques works miracles for the lucky viewer.  Jackson is truly wonderful to watch, as is Mona Washburn as the old aunt who lives with her.  Highly recommended, and this was our first viewing.

Leaving Criterion February 28th/22 

In other film news, I have been trying to find out the name of a movie we saw a few years ago.  I distinctly remember several scenes from it, but Deb had no memory.  I knew that I had blogged about it, but when?  I finally located the blog, from June of 2016.  The problem was that all the images from that year's blog did not transfer to blogger.  So I could not see the damn poster.  But I finally found out the title.  It is called The Great Beauty, and I found it on Criterion!!!  So my next week choice is made.  It's been six years since I have seen this fabulous film, and I can't wait to see it again. 

The scanning of old family slides continues to be a lot of fun, putting me back into contact with cousins and family friends.  I include a few more precious moments for perusal.

Left to right: Mapman himself, my late Uncle Jimmy, and cousin Judith.  Taken around 1956 at Lake Penage, where Jimmy lived and my grandparents ran a marina and tourist camp.

The family Christmas photo, around 1960.  I got some rockets!

Part of my 4th or 5th grade class graduation.  I am 4th down, right side, in a dark suit.

That's all the news for now.  Check back soon for more fascinating blogging.

Mapman Mike


 


No comments:

Post a Comment