Tuesday 4 October 2022

The Rings of Power

But first, the local news.  We are slowly getting through a very busy October.  This week we both had our haircut, long overdue, followed by a trip to the lawyer in Kingsville handling Lois' will.  Still to come are a doctor's visit (me) and my postponed dental cleaning.  Deb also needs to go to her mom's bank, but she is waiting for a call back to book an appointment.  Next week is Lois' Celebration of Life, which Deb is handling (quite well).  Throughout all this I am currently suffering through a bout of poison ivy.  We cleaned up some of our yard a week ago last Saturday.  On Tuesday night, in the middle of the night, I began to itch.  Thinking it was mosquito bites, I applied some cream and carried on.  Two days later, it had spread down both wrists, just past where my work gloves had protected my hands (thankfully).  I've been itching badly for over a week now, with likely another week to go.  Taking Benadryl and applying hydra-cortisone cream.  There are times when it doesn't bother me at all, and other times.....

Back to TV viewing now.  For the first time in my life I am seeing Tolkien brought to film that fully satisfies me.  Prime Video's  Rings of Power is easily the most awesome fantasy epic ever filmed.  We have seen 4 of 6 hour long episodes, with an obvious big battle awaiting.  We have met harfoots (hobbits), men, elves, dwarves, orcs, and many other strange creatures, including a man who arrived via meteor.  We have visited Lindon, home of the western elves, and been to Moria to see the wonder that the dwarves have created.  We have been to Numenor and seen their wondrous city.  In short, the scenery and backgrounds have been non stop jaw droppingly beautiful.  The creators have learned much from Peter Jackson; the detail in clothing, armour, weapons, furniture, tools, and jewelry are unsurpassed.  Best of all there is some music, some elf singing and some dwarf praying.  There is humour, much violence, but also many quiet moments.  It all rings true of Tolkien's writing.  Despite reading some criticism that things move too slowly, they don't.  If anything, things are happening too quickly, and I wish I could linger longer in places.  The Numenorean ships are breathtakingly beautiful, and when we first enter Numenor it is a sight never to be forgotten.  Same with the dwarf mines and their underground city.  And the approach of the elven ship into the western lands is also handled with perfection!  I could go on and on about this series, but suffice it to say I like it very much.  Read the appendices to Vol 3, "Return of the King", and you will see how slender was Tolkien's vision of the 2nd age.  A few paragraphs and a chronology, and the Prime folk have created something as deep and breathtaking as the 7 Tolkien books themselves.  My only complaint is that Galadriel, a slender woman, is  given the power and strength of several giants.  She is tireless, and seems more ninja and Conan the Barbarian than female elf.

We are also making progress with the three other series on Prime: Wheel of Time, Tales From the Loop, and Night Sky.  When those are finished, I will report more fully on them.  All are promising, but so far somewhat uneven in quality.  I'll also report back on the final two episodes of Rings.  Tonight we watch part 5!  Deb's going away movie choice was a strange pick for her.  Called Car Wash, it is from 1976.  The action takes place over a full work day at an LA car wash.  It is a comedy with some drama, and well worth watching.  Richard Pryor pops in with the Pointer Sisters (who do an energetic number).  He is a preacher who preaches about the value of having money!  There are many priceless moments, and the film captures the 70s like no other.  Fun to watch.

It's Criterion run ended on Sept. 30th. 

It's been awhile since I posted a landscape image from the DIA.  Their massive Van Gogh exhibit is now on, though I am not sure when we will get there.  I haven't checked into tickets yet, though I likely will soon.  In the meantime, here is a seasonal American landscape painting I have always enjoyed seeing.  The artist is considered a tonalist, and there are several of his works in the DIA.

Landscape, 1921.  Dwight William Tryon, American, 1849-1925.  Oil on panel. 11.5" x 17.6".

Mapman Mike

 

No comments:

Post a Comment