Wednesday 30 January 2019

The Polar Vortex

Words to strike fear into anyone that has to work outside.  The winds come directly from the north pole, come swishing down through Manitoba, pass just west of Lake Michigan, turn the corner in Chicago, and head straight for Detroit and Windsor.  I've been listening to the roar of the wind since yesterday.  Windsor broke its all-time cold temperature record this morning, and will break it again Thursday.  The temp never rose above -20C today.  Combined with a 60 kph wind, it feels like -35 C.  Of course we had to be outside today at 7:30 am, heading to my follow-up appt. for yesterday's eye surgery.  Deb had to do the driving, until Dr. Emara (the very best!!) cleared me for driving.  The surgery and follow-up both went well, and I am well on my way to a full recovery, with perfect distance vision in both eyes to look forward to (and much more vibrant and rich colours, too).  I have no discomfort, and even though I was awake for the entire procedure (about 12 minutes), I felt nothing.

In the meantime, even with the boiler running full-time, we can barely keep the house temperature averaging about 67 F, or 19.5 C.  Some rooms are warmer, the ones away from the wind.  Some are colder.  Of course we have to go outside again tomorrow, a day that promises to be as cold or colder than today.  Deb has her check-up with her optometrist, and she is hoping to get new glasses.  It is suppose to warm up to near 0 C by Saturday.  We are both really looking forward to that!!!

I can't really read just now, so Deb is reading to me when she has time.  My latest book is The Drowning World, by J.G. Ballard.
Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment