Saturday 3 April 2021

Clear Nights, and Some Cloudy Ones

I have had two outings already in the April session, Thursday and Friday.  And it's clear tonight, but the sky is pale and smoky, so I am staying home.  Spring skies offer unprecedented views of other galaxies, and I have had an eyeful lately.  With daylight savings time I can't begin observing until 9 pm, so my nights get later and later now through summer solstice.  I am currently undertaking observations in Sextans and Coma Berencies, both areas loaded with galaxies faint and bright, small and large, and everything in between.
 
I took a short break from practicing piano earlier in the week, and it helped my sanity.  Our province has just imposed further restrictions once again due to rising Covid cases.  There will be in place for at least another month.  Vaccinations continue to slowly move ahead.  Deb and I are scheduled for Wed. April 7th.  We shall see.
 
In movie news, here are my two picks for last week.  My main pick was Red Desert, from 1964.  There are several movies by Antonioni that I can never get enough of, and this is one of the them.  His first colour picture, this one belongs to Monica Vitti all the way.  She plays the part of a woman having a perpetual mental breakdown.  Married and with a young son, she has been in a car accident, hospitalized, and is on a downhill path in her life.  She reminds me of a bird that has struck a window, and is dazed and confused afterwards, and possibly permanently damaged.  Her furtive movements, looks, and her deep insight into such a woman's troubled mind makes for a film that is hard to watch sometimes, but is astounding most of the time.  It came with several short extras, including interviews with the director and with Monica.

Now showing on Criterion.  
 
From the leaving April 30th file I chose an odd duckie of a film starring Dick Powell and Adolph Menjou called The Tall Target, from 1951.  It purports to tell the tell of a New York policeman's  efforts to stop the assassination of Lincoln before his presidential inauguration.  It all takes place on an overnight train journey from New York to Washington in March 1861.  It ends up being a typical Hollywood thriller, with Powell as cardboard an actor as could be.  It is interesting historically, since modern American politics looks pretty much the same today.
 
Showing on Criterion until April 30th. 
 
And now, at long last, I return to the world of fine art!  It's Spring, so how about a Spring photo from the DIA's collection.  It could also be called "I Miss Detroit."  I love this man's work!
 
Marjorie East, From The Zone.  2009, printed.  Scott Hocking, American, born 1975.  14.4" x 22".  Collection Detroit Institute of Arts.  
 
And I can't resist another one by Scott.  This is one of the most sublime images I have ever seen.
 
Roof Marsh, Roosevelt Warehouse, Detroit, 2008.  Scott Hocking again.  22" x 33". 
 
It's images like these that make we almost wish Detroit wasn't improving so quickly.  This whole area is under full redevelopment currently.  Alas, no more marsh....
 
Mapman Mike
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment