Wednesday 9 August 2023

Busy Week

The new piano is taking a bit of getting used to, but I am happily pounding away, mostly with headphones.  Deb bought me a good pair.  While I'd rather have the lid open and the volume turned up, there will be time for this once I really know the pieces.  For now, the world is probably better off not hearing what I do during my 2 1/2 hours practice each day.  The next get together is the 19th.  None of my main pieces are anywhere near ready to perform, but I will play an old duet with Paula, and I have pulled out a Venetian gondola Song by Mendelssohn to play as a solo.  I am also back to the harpsichord, and have transferred my Prelude and Fugue there.  With the touch of a button I can play the piece with Baroque tuning, which is nearly a half tone lower.  The sound is very different, and conforms much more to my impression of what Eb+ should sound like.  By pressing another button, I can re-tune the entire instrument, using a tuning common in Bach's era, and one that gives each key signature its own feel.  Not surprisingly, the new piano will do the same things, only louder.

This is one of those weeks with considerable running around.  My Iaido class was Monday night, and I am now practicing everything up to but not including black belt level.  I spent nearly 3 years learning that material back in the day, but in two months I should pretty much have it down once again.  Then, if I continue with training (undecided), I can tackle the black belt level material, and then the 2nd black belt level, where I left off five years ago.  Tuesday was grocery shopping night.  Today we were home, but it was grass cutting day.  Tomorrow we are off the see the lawyer in Kingsville, as we are updating and revising our wills.  Deb also has her bi-monthly blood work there.  Friday we are taking a load of old electronics to the recycling centre in Windsor, and Deb is getting some head shots done for her publicity photos.

In film news, there are two of my choices to report, and one from Deb.  A Chiara is an Italian film from 2021.  It begins at a family celebration, the 18th birthday of a young woman, with her friends and family all present.  It is a huge party, and takes up about 30 minutes of the film.  We are shown a family that has close ties, and gets along well together.  Another daughter (Chiara) is 15, and the youngest is about 7.  Later that night, after the party, a car explosion outside the home rouses the family.  Dad goes on the run, and Chiara, in the dark till now, discovers that her dad is part of the Mafia.  The shock to her system is something that she cannot shake, and she goes in search of her father and the truth.  The film is mostly about her own search for the truth, which causes her even more grief.  Not a completely successful film, it does show how quickly and completely once's entire life can change forever.  Swami Rotolo gives a good performance of the angry and obsessed teenage girl, faced with the choice of staying by her family, or leaving it forever.  Non-professionals play all the major roles, mostly from the same family.

Now showing on Mubi. 

My leaving choice was a straight up bio of violinist Izthak Perlman.  Simply called Izthak, it is directed by Alison Chernick, and is from 2017.  He is a performer we have heard play many times in Detroit; he even conducted the orchestra as principal guest conductor for two years, and played often at that time, too.  There is lots of music, many anecdotes, and it's fun following him around New York and the world in his motorized chair.  One of the greats, and a film to be treasured.

The film has now left Mubi. We caught it just in time. 

Deb's leaving was next.  She chose to rewatch The Fisher King, with Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams.  From 1991, it's a Terry Gilliam madcap adventure for most of the film, and as usual with the director, many scenes are overdone and do not come off well.  However, overall it is a very good film and well worth a 2nd viewing.  Bridges, as an obnoxious radio host, is directly linked to the violent death of Williams' wife.  Williams goes way off the deep end.  Once they link up, Bridges realizes that he must do right by this man, and tries to get him a date with a girl Williams is in love with.  The Holy Grail comes into the story, too, and a fire breathing horse and rider.  The effects are good, the acting is hit and miss, but mostly okay, but the ending is a bit too simplistic.  Fun at times, and a pain in the head at other times.

Leaving Criterion August 31st. 

In reading news, I am just finishing up my required books by five authors, and will soon be moving on to my free reading time.  First up is a novel by F Marion Crawford.

Mapman Mike


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment