Sunday 18 November 2018

Detroit Day with Jenn

We had a fun day on Saturday in Detroit.  Jenn G. visited with Aston, her 14 yr. old son, and her mom.  It was a day of craft beer, good food, lots of walking, and a museum visit.  The Detroit Historical Museum has an exhibit about Aretha on now, so we made that the centrepiece of the day.  The DIA has recently reopened their newly remodelled Asian Galleries, too.  Deb and I skipped that one, as Deb's batteries were running low.  But we met up afterwards and heard good reviews.  I forgot my camera, or there would be pictures of glasses of beer on display here.

I missed a couple of days of piano practice, but managed to jump back into things today.  I had hopes of being at a certain performance level by the time we leave for Vienna in two weeks,and I think I will be there!  Wonder of wonders.  Walking around Vienna with Bach, Haydn, and Schumann pieces memorized and in my fingers is a fun feeling.  Kind of like having magic spells at your fingertips, but not necessarily for immediate use.

So far this November we have had 4 snow events.  This is more frequent snow than I can ever remember this early.  Sudbury has been white for a while now, and very very cold.  It has been very cold since about Oct. 10th, meaning that we have been robbed of Autumn and introduced far too early to winter.  It is supposed to be a mild winter, due to the presence of El Nino, but that won't become apparent, if it does at all, until January.  The odds of having snow on our driving day to Toronto seem pretty high.

Our land phone line is currently out of service, with a Bell technician coming tomorrow morning.  Internet still works, though....  The last time it worked was last night, when I spoke with my parents at some length.  Everything good there, but some ageing aunts and uncles remind me that I have no snow tires, and that a trip to Sudbury could happen sooner rather than later. 
Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment