Wednesday 7 November 2018

Trump, Travel, and Medical Updates

The election in the USA yesterday did not even give Trump a black eye.  People there are so tied to a political party that no matter what happens they will support the person.  Democrats winning the House is a small victory; now Trump has someone new to blame when things don't go well.  this crap is spreading worldwide so fast it makes ones head spin.  Meanwhile in Michigan a Democratic Governor was elected, but the house and senate remain Republican.  Best of luck to the new Governor.  Bang head on wall.  Meanwhile in Canada we have a mini-Trump governing Ontario, and our Liberal Prime Minister will likely get the boot next year.  So the world dies not slowly, but rapidly.  Probably best that way.

In travel news, Austrian Airlines informed us this week that our flight from Toronto to Vienna was cancelled.  They are gradually pulling out of Toronto entirely.  We were rebooked for the next day, but that did not jive with our plans to visit the Bruegel exhibit.  We spent a frantic day trying to rearrange hotel, parking, pet sitter, before finally convincing the airlines to book us on the same dates as originally scheduled, but on a different airline.  So instead of our direct flight to Vienna, we are now routed through Frankfurt on Lufthansa.  At least the times are only different on both of our arrivals, but it means driving home in the dark from Toronto now after two flights.  We arrive in Vienna three hours later, too.

In medical news, Randy G. phoned me with an update on Anita.  She is expected to pass away before the month ends.  She is receiving the best of care at home, with a Hospice doctor, nurse, and relatives giving 24 hour care and support.  I had tears in my eyes as he was talking about Anita.  The aggressive chemo treatments she received allowed her another year of life, and she fought hard the entire time.  We are going to attempt a visit tomorrow afternoon, following Deb's bi-monthly infusion.  Also, My aunt (Mom's sister) had surgery in Sudbury this week to remove a large and painful ovarian cyst.  Things went well there, according to cousin Cathy, who went to Sudbury after leaving Windsor on Saturday following our Day of the Dead excursions.  And my uncle (Mom's brother) had a large tumour removed from his bladder.  He is not doing so well.  

My turn now.  I am in the system to have the cataract in my right eye removed.  Vision has deteriorated, and I should have had this procedure done sooner.  However, I waited until the end of astronomy season.  For nothing.  No clear nights this autumn anyway, though there might be a very chilly one tomorrow night.  Anyway, I'm awaiting a call from Dr. Emara's office for my pre-surgery appointment.  Though the surgery is relatively minor, and you are in and out of the hospital in a matter of hours, I can do no lifting for about three weeks, and thus no telescope set up.  According to my optometrist I can expect the surgery in January.  Shovelling season.  My own fault for waiting so long. 

Mapman

No comments:

Post a Comment