Sunday 16 June 2019

A Sunday Outing

For the 2nd Sunday in a row, we have ventured to Windsor to visit a pub.  Sandwich Town Brewing Co. brews 7 ales, and I had a sampler of 4.  I also bought a flight log passport, my key to visiting 13 city and county brewpubs and distilleries.  For $25 you get a flight at each location, and a passport stamp.  Today's flight would have cost me $9, so I will soon have come out ahead in this deal.  In addition, I get a $20 beer mat once my passport is full.  A new summer project!

We walked along the river afterwards.  It was cool, misty and foggy, a very unusual day for mid-June.  We had heavy rain on Thursday but I managed to get the grass cut on Friday.  It rained 1/2" today, so we are quite water-logged.  Some of the roads are in the early stages of flooding, and many houses in our area are at risk.  All of the ditches are full, and getting worse.  The Detroit River is so high that the major rivers flowing into it are backing up.  That includes the small creek (which would be called a river in New Mexico) that cuts through our back yard.
 A Great Lakes steel freighter heads up the Detroit River.

 Ambassador Bridge leading to Detroit.

 The freighter begins to pass a foggy downtown Detroit.


 The local geese don't seem to mind the high water.  This is usually a beach.

Foggy view towards Detroit.  

Being Fathers' Day, I received an e-mail card from a one-armed Deb.  Don't know how she did it!  I have been father to five cats, three turtles, and assorted birds, mice, and lizards.  I deserve a card.
My card references my new skills at using an air fryer.  It's not
rocket science, but I can still do it.

Deb's movie selection for this week was an older English charmer called "Green Grow The Rushes," named after a famous folk song.  It features great performances from Richard Burton, Honor Blackman (appearing especially vivacious) and Roger Livesey, along with other British actors easily recognizable from other movies and even a TV series.  The plot is similar to "Whiskey Galore," another favourite old film of mine.  The film contains the only melancholy version of Mendelssohn's "Spring Song" that I have ever heard!
A light film from 1951, but certainly worth a look.

Deb also selected a short film from Criterion, called Kaiju Bunraku, a 13 minute film in traditional bunraku style about a couple living under the threat of Mothra!  Certainly a bit different.
Mapman Mike 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment