Tuesday 11 June 2019

Japanese New Wave

Tomorrow is Deb's 2nd post-surgical milestone, when she sees her surgeon for a follow-up at a Windsor hospital.  It will have been 12 days by that time.  Today she came out with me on the weekly grocery and pet food expedition, and she has been walking as much as I have lately.  Good signs.

With all of the rain we have had (it has tapered off, finally), the yard is quickly turning into jungle once again.  I went out today and weeded the front half of the house.  Thursday I will attempt the much worse rear half, and then Friday I will be cutting all three lawns once again.  Only once we get into a weeks long drought will it all stop.

I figure that I should show the only other work in the DIA by Cibo, an Italian amateur botanist that I talked a bit about last time.  I'm sure he is completely unknown by most gallery visitors.  His prints and drawings intrigue me, and I wish we had a better sampling of his work.  I would especially love to see some of his works that relate him a bit more to Durer.  Anyway, here is another work by him, perhaps even a bit stranger than the last one.
Study of a Building and Tall Tree, Gherardo Cibo, Italian.
ca. 1568-70.  Pen and brown ink, heightened with white, on blue paper.
5" x 8".  Detroit Institute of Arts.

 Detail of above.

2nd detail of Cibo drawing. 

And now on to the Japanese New Wave, in cinema.  My Criterion choice for this week was called "Everything Goes Wrong," a very tense and unrelenting b & w movie about a teenage boy rebelling against his widowed mother for having accepted money from a man who has become her mistress.  Jiro is so filled with anger than he cannot think properly, and lashes out at everyone.  His portrayal of a teenage delinquent boy in the process of boiling over and melting down is perfect in every way.  There is extreme realism at work here, along with superb photography and fine performances by everyone.  All of the urban settings are gritty and filmed on location.  At first these kinds of movies were met with moral outrage in Japan, and took a bit of time before they were allowed to be shown.  With angst like this on display, you can understand the problem.  Anyway, it was a really good movie, and quite short, at only 71 minutes.  Well worth seeking out. 
Criterion poster.

 Original poster from 1960.  

I'll report back tomorrow on Deb's meeting with her surgeon.

Mapman Mike
 

No comments:

Post a Comment