Tuesday 16 July 2019

Art, A Film, and an M.D. Appt.

The DIA has 4 wonderful paintings by Panini.  I have already showed two of them in some detail, and I will now show a third landscape.  The 4th painting they own shows the interior of St. Peter's, Rome, but does not fit my outdoor landscape theme.  It is such a great painting, though, that I may decide to show it anyway.  Tune in next time to find out.
 Ruins of A Triumphal Arch In The Roman Campagna, Giovanni Paolo Panini,
painted 1717-1719.  Oil of canvas, 29" x 24", unframed.  Detroit Institute of Arts. 
  Panini and his patrons were obsessed by classical ruins, and I am very happy for that, as so am I.  My most significant encounter with such ruins was in Spain, especially in Barcelona and along the coast nearby.  These paintings are wonderful fancies to look upon, and to project oneself into the picture.  See me there with my dog?

Detail of the central foreground.

 Detail of the left foreground.

 Detail of right side.

 Detail above the arch.  

This is the earliest of the four DIA Panini paintings, and was one of the first paintings to enter the museum's collection, in 1889.  While I would be happy to have any of the four hanging in my living room, I would prefer if I had them all.  Wonderful stuff!

My choice for a Criterion movie this week was called "Dragon Inn," a martial arts film from Taiwan and made back in 1967.  It has recently been fully restored.  It was the first of the great, extremely weird Chinese movies where ninja-like warriors can fly up onto roofs and into trees, and fight for hours against an opponent who is their equal.  This wide-screen, colour movie is worth the price of admission just to sit and gasp at the incredible scenery and locations.  the fighting is just something you have to put up with.  The movie has much of the American "western" genre about it, with much of the movie set in a lonely, extremely isolated Inn near Dragon Pass.  The tension and the dialogue, especially in the movie's first half, is incredible.  Everyone is so polite, while wanting to destroy one another!  Things bog down a bit near the end when it becomes a silly, non-stop ninja-like battle, but for most people this is probably the highlight.  As usual, we got to watch it in a perfect print.  Recommended.  There are still some extras yet to watch.
Now showing on the Criterion Channel. 

I had a meeting with my M.D. today.  I am officially getting old.  My blood pressure was great, but my cholesterol was a bit high.  I am starting a low dose of meds for that.  Also some meds for an enlarged prostate, not unusual in a guy my age.  And I also got a prescription for a shingles vaccine.  Deb and I are both getting one, as we did have chicken pox as children.  Apparently these vaccines are 95% effective, though not fun to get.  Deb gets hers Thursday.  If she lives, I get mine on Monday.

Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment