Tuesday 2 July 2019

June Reading

Last night was my 2nd clear night in three nights.  My sleeping schedule is considerably off, but I had another good night at my secluded, secret observing site.  I am getting along with the huge windmill next to me, who likes to show off when a slight breeze comes up now and again.  The blades sound like a giant samurai sword in motion.  As today was new moon, and clouds and storms are forecast all week, I'm thinking that's it for this session.  I am still far behind on my notes.

We did get storms today, and (so far) 1/2" of rain.  it has been very warm and humid, and that will continue unabated, except during storms.  There were very dramatic clouds in the sky tonight.  I am hearing thunder once again just now.  I may not get to write about my June books just now.
 Dramatic clouds passing south of us.
 Close-up of above photo.

 Evening sky tonight.   


This was Deb's final full day in her sling.  It comes off tomorrow, and a small celebration is planned.  We also continue to watch the many extra features associated with recent films we have viewed.  We are finally done with the three Wenders films, and are finishing up 3 docs on the Pomegranate film.  In other viewing news, we continue to watch "Mr. Robot," now in its third season; "Electric Dreams," the series of films adapted from the short stories by P. K. Dick, and the newest Neil Gaiman series, based on Terry Pratchett's "Good Omens."

June was a good reading month, with definite highlights.  I have yet to grow tired of my 3+ years project of reading the works of the Avon/Equinox authors.  As I only read one book by each author at a time, this keeps things varied and interesting.  Always a different author when the present book is completed.  I read 11 related books last month, not all of them worth mentioning.  "The Wrecks of Time" by Michael Moorcock was a pretty decent read, but even better was the flip side of this Ace Double, featuring a novel by Emil Petaja, a SF based on the Finnish epic The Kalevala.  This turned out to be Book 4 in a 4-book series, but I now have Book 1 ready to go.  Usually, once I have read a book by each author I am following, I will choose a non-related work to read before starting over again.  Besides the Petaja book, I also read a children's story by W H. Hudson, called "A Little Boy Lost."

I read "Crash," by Ballard, and was so intrigued by this story that I followed up by watching the movie by David Cronenberg.  One cannot speak of "enjoying" such books and movies, but they certainly get your attention!  I found the book too long and often repetitive, but that was part of the point Ballard was trying to make.  The movie, on the other hand, was nearly a perfect length, and did justice to the book.  I recommend at least trying the book first; I don't see how the movie can make much sense otherwise.

"Universe Day" by Barry Malzberg really helped me solidify my own thoughts on space travel, and even travel here on Earth.  Our most important journeys are always going to be inward, not outward, and this was nicely reinforced by the three Wender movies watched this past weekend.  Malzberg is not a fan of space travel, and he has valid reasons.  The main reason, and also one that Spinrad deals well with, is that nothing can prepare us for the void.  We emphasize training our bodies to prepare for such journeys, but the mind is equally important.  Even on such short journeys as to the Moon and back, many of the astronauts who accomplished the journey cracked up afterwards.  Imagine four months in a tin can going to Mars, and getting there and finding the most hostile environment ever conceived.  One technological glitch and the ball game is over.  The more we have to depend on technology to stay alive, the less amount of time we should be spending there.  Now imagine a journey to Alpha Centauri.  There is simply no way.  Ever.  Anyway, I liked Malzberg's book a lot, which is a group of short stories on a theme.

Ward Moore's "Cloud By Day" was an astonishing work, set in a tiny, imaginary California highway settlement, on the day a very bad wild fire comes to town.  An exceptionally good writer, this is one of his earliest books, and a real find.  I will treasure it.

James Blish's "A Case of Conscience" was written as two novellas.  The first one is one of the best SF stories ever written (a lot of Blish is like that).  By comparison, the 2nd half is a bit of a letdown, though it is still much better than most SF stories I have read.  Part of his series called "After Such Knowledge," I have one more book to read in this group.

Mapman Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment