Friday 5 July 2019

Memorizing Music, and a DIA Painting

July is music memorization month around here, at least for me.  My goal is to have the 1st movement of the Haydn sonata in my head, along with the Couperin piece, the Debussy Prelude, and the massive Bartok Allegro Barbaro.  I will report back in 26 days to see how I'm doing.  I would like to have all pieces memorized for the next recital, excepting the Schubert, which is too long, and the Bach fugue, which is too complex.  We shall see.

Deb is officially free of her arm sling, after nearly five weeks.  She also has started her Physiotherapy, though the next two weeks involve just a few easy steps to do at home.  She returns to her center in two weeks to up the program a bit.  So far so good, though some pain is involved.  At least 6 months to go.  Today has been five weeks since her surgery.

I am now commencing an all-painting unit for my DIA exploration portion of this blog.  We begin with a Panini painting.  Take your seats, please.

 View of the Colosseum, G. P. Panini.  Italian, 1735.
29" x 53".  Detroit Institute of Arts.  
One of four paintings by the master in Detroit, Panini's paintings of Rome were popular with tourists of the day.  I remember discovering Panini on our earliest visits to the DIA, back in 1978.  His pictures opened up the world of landscape painting to me, and I have never looked back.  His works mix fantasy with reality, and we get a somewhat romanticized view of Rome at the time.  Everything in the picture is authentic, just not necessarily actually placed where it is. These large pictures are fun to look at, and the more you look the more you see.  Panini is good at mixing ancient ruins with those of more recent Christian edifices.

Detail of left side.


Detail of left half, which seems to make a complete painting in itself.

 A closer detail of the lower left, again seeming to make a complete painting.

 Right half of the picture.

 Further detail of right side.  Who wouldn't want to spend a lazy day exploring the area?  

More Panini next time, showing the companion picture to this one.

Mapman Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment